Thursday, November 15, 2012

Eats: Paula Deen's Basic Meatloaf


I am such a fan of Paula Deen and her cooking. I love her Southern drawl ('olive awwl', anyone?), her need to add large amounts of butter to anything everything and her perfectly coiffed hair. I even paid a visit to her resturant "The Lady & Sons" during a visit to Savannah. Their 'Sunday Buffet' might be the best meal I have ever had in my entire life. During that visit, I snatched up one of her cookbooks so I could recreate some of those delicious dishes back at home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Paul Deen's Basic Meatloaf
Ingredients:
 
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 chopped bell pepper
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 8 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix all meat loaf ingredients well and place into baking dish. Shape into a loaf.
 
 
 
Topping
Ingredients:
 
 
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
 
Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for one hour.
 
 
 
I paired my meatloaf with freshly made mashed potatoes.
 
It was a hot, rib sticking, belly filling type of a meal. Delish!
 
 

No comments: